Education and Experience for
the Doctors of Aesthetic Surgery, Ltd.
Harry A. Springer, M.D., F.A.C.S. Stefan Mark Szczerba, M.D.
Harry A. Springer, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Dr. Springer was born and raised in El Paso, TX. He received his medical degree from the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School before moving to Chicago for the residency program at Cook County Hospital. Since then he has been practicing plastic surgery in the Northshore area for thirty years, treating patients from all around the greater Chicago area, Indiana and Wisconsin. In addition, he has been a valuable member of the Chicago medical community, serving in various appointed positions in the Chicago Society of Plastic Surgery. He was also elected president of the Chicago Medical Society and of the Illinois State Medical Society. Dr. Springer has served as associate professor at the University of Chicago and Loyola Medical Center as well.
Licensure: Illinois, Texas
Board Certification: 1975, American Board of Plastic Surgery
- 1968 - 1971 Plastic Surgery, Northwestern University - Cook County Hospital Plastic Surgery Residency Program; Chicago, IL
- 1965 - 1969 General Surgery, Cook County Hospital, Chicago, IL
- 1964 - 1965 Rotating internship (Northwestern University), Cook County Hospital, Chicago, IL
- 1960 - 1964 Doctor of Medicine (M.D.), University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Schoold,Dallas, TX
- 1956 - 1960 Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.), Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
Undergraduate Education: University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX
Continuing Medical Education:
- 1971, 1975, 1978, 1982, 1985, 1988, 1991, 1994, 1997, 2000 American Medical Association, Physician's Recognition Award
Military Experience: 1965 - 1972 & 1981 - 1984, United States Army Reserve
Hospital Staff Appointments:
- 1971 - Present: Swedish Covenant Hospital, Chicago, IL
- 1978 - Present: St. Francis Hospital, Evanston, IL
- 1992 - Present: Evanston Hospital Corp., Evanston, IL
- 1992 - Present: Glenbrook Hospital, Glenview, IL
- 1988 - 1990, Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic Surgery, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- 1971 - 1980, Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic Surgery, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- American Medical Association, Delegate from ISMS
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- American Society of Clinical Hypnosis
- American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Member, Continuing Medical Education Committee (past)
- Member, Interprofessional Relations Committee (past)
- Representative, Interspecialty Advisory Board (past)
- American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
- Special Task Force on Practice Enhancement (past)
- The Association of Military Surgeons of the U.S.
- Chicago Medical Society
- President of the North Shore Branch, 1981 - 1983
- Chairman of the Council of the Chicago Medical Society, 1982 - 1983
- President of the Chicago Medical Society, 1983 - 1984, Numerous other elected and appointed positions
- Chicago Society of Plastic Surgery, Member, Membership Committee (past), Chairman, Membership Committee (past)
- Illinois State Medical Society, Delegate, Illinois State House of Delegates, 1978 -1984, President, Illinois State Medical Society, 1988 - 1989, Numerous other elected and appointed positions
- Midwest Association of Plastic Surgeons (past)
- Orion H. Stateville Surgical Society
Stefan Mark Szczerba, M.D.
Cosmetic Plastic Surgeon Stefan Mark Szczerba practices at the University of Illinois at Chicago in the Division of Plastic Surgery and also at 900 North Michigan Surgery Center in downtown Chicago.
As one of Chicago's few plastic surgeons with subspecialty training in Cosmetic Plastic Surgery in addition to traditional Reconstructive Plastic Surgery his practice encompasses both cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery for men and women. Dr. Szczerba focuses on cosmetic surgery of the eyes, nose, face, breast and body and he brings that specialty to reconstructive surgery.
Besides tiny touch ups with Botox and other filler injections, Dr. Szczerba routinely performs "Extreme Makeover" surgery in stages for patients who have lost significant weight. This gives patients a "one stop shop" for plastic surgery expertise for not only cosmetic surgery of the eyes, nose and face, but breast area and full body too!
Dr. Szczerba uses unique, minimally invasive techniques to release wrinkles and then uses the fat grafting techniques from his training in New York and Atlanta to plump up the cheeks and lips giving a very natural full, youthful look to your face. He can also use that technique to change or enhance most curves on your body.
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- American Board of Surgery
- Advanced Trauma Life Support
- Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Staff Physician at 900 North Michigan Surgery Center
Training & Education
- Cosmetic Plastic Surgery Fellowship, July 2004-June 2005 New York Eye & Ear Infirmary, New York
- Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, July 2001-June 2004 Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia
- General Surgery Residency, July 1996- June 2001 Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois Medical School-Rush Medical College, Chicago, Illinois
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, 1995
- Arthur Dean Bevan Award, 1996
- Rush Medical College- Awarded for clinical and academic excellence in surgery.
- Szczerba, SM, Hester, TR Cheeklift Surgery. The Art of Aesthetic Surgery: Principles and Techniques. Editor-Foad Nahai, MD, FACS, Quality Medical Publishing, 2005.
- Szczerba SM, Seify H & Hester TR. Facial Rejuvenation. Medical Management of the Surgical Patient. Luben, Smith. Lippencott, Publisher.
- Szczerba S, Dumanian GA. Definitive Surgical Treatment of Infected or Exposed Ventral Hernia Mesh. Annals of Surgery. 237(3) 437-41.
- Sukkar SM, Dumanian GA, Szczerba, SM, Tellez MG Challenging abdominal wall defects. American Journal of Surgery 181:115-121.
- Arensman, R. A., Bambini, D. A., & Almond, P. S. (1999). Handbook of Pediatric Surgery. (1st ed.). Austin, Texas: Landes Bioscience.
- Szczerba, SM, Author, Selected Chapters: 1. Acute Appendicitis Anorectal disorders in children.
- Millikan, K. & Szczerba, SM (1996). Superior Mesenteric and Portal vein thrombosis following Laparoscopic Assisted Right Hemicolectomy. Report of a case. Diseases of the Colon and Rectum. 39(10):1171-5.
- Szczerba, SM, Yokoo, K., & Bauer, BS. (1994). Release of Acquired Syndactylies in Kindler Syndrome. Annals of Plastic Surgery 33(4):434-8.
- Szczerba, SM. University of Illinois at Chicago. Facial fracture management with cosmetic cheeklift surgery approach. Prospective trial of management of periorbital fractures through a modified cheeklift approach.
- Szczerba, SM. University of Illinois at Chicago. Nasal fracture treatment with accurate endoscopic nasal evaluation, nasal bone reduction and accurate septal management.
- Szczerba, SM. University of Illinois at Chicago. Subcision therapy for management of depressed scars and deep facial rhytids.
- Szczerba, S. M. Midwest Associate of Plastic Surgeons. April 2006. Oakbrook, Illinois.Personal Evolution into Routine Use of the Modified Cheeklift Approach as the Primary Method for Midface Rejuvenation
- Szczerba, S. M.Midwest Associate of Plastic Surgeons. April 2006. Oakbrook, Illinois."Subscision" Therapy with Subsequent Filler Use as a Method of Treatment for Creased Expression Lines or Depressed Facial Scars
- Glenn E. Herrmann, MD, Szczerba, S. M. Midwest Associate of Plastic Surgeons. April 2006. Oakbrook, Illinois. Subciliary Approach with Lateral Canthal Anchoring for Repairs of Zygomaticomaxillary Complex Fractures
- Szczerba, S. M., Elliott F. Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons. June 2003. West Palm Beach, Florida. Dual Use Cannula System for Liposuction.
- Szczerba, S. M., Ujiki, G. T., Sukkar, S. M., Tellez, M. G., & Dumanian, G. A., Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois. Management of Abdominal Wall Defects Including Infected Mesh after Ventral Hernia Repair.
- Sukkar, S. M., Szczerba, S. M., Tellez, M. G., & Dumanian, G. A., Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois.Challenging Abdominal Wall Defects: One Center's Approach to Reconstruction.
- Pediatric Emergency Room 2002-2004 Scottish-Rite Hospital, Atlanta, Georgia Plastic Surgery Emergency Care
- Medical Technologist, 1991-1993 Loyola University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois Clinical Chemistry Specialist
- Medical Technologist, 1991-1992 Elmhurst Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois Generalist
Memberships & Organizations
- American Medical Association- Medical Student Section (AMA-MSS)
- 1994-1996 Founder and President, AMA Chapter at Rush Medical College
- Established AMA-MSS Chapter goals, rules, and by-laws. Initiated regular meetings, AMA activities
- Illinois State Medical Society - Medical Student Section (ISMS-MSS) 1994 Student Representative to Illinois State Medical Society (ISMS) Governmental Affairs Council
- Sigma Chi Fraternity, Marquette University 1987 Founder, Iota Pi Chapter, Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 1990 Vice-President
- Polish -Written and Spoken
|Harry A. Springer, M.D., F.A.C.S. and Stefan Mark Szczerba, M.D.|
|Aesthetic Surgery, Ltd.|
|Office Address: |
|10400 West Higgins Rd|
|Rosemont, IL 60018|